This salad is perfect as a vegetarian dish, however I always serve mine with a topping of either fish or lean meat like ostrich. Especially when one is hosting, the more food the better right.. Enjoy!
- 1 ½ cups Ace Super Maize Meal
- 1 Cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 4 table spoons olive oil
- Salt and PepperMethod:
- Pour boiling water and salt into a pot with a thick base and a lid. Bring to a boil.
- Add the Ace Super Maize Meal to the boiling water. Close the lid, without stirring.
- Reduce heat. Simmer gently for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork during cooking till crumbly.
- Set aside to cool completely and crumble using your hands for a super fine resemblance.
- Mix in the spring onions. Add the cucumber, tomatoes, cumin, parsley, mint, lemon juice, oil and salt.
- Heap the tabbouleh on a bed of lettuce, drizzle with olive oil a squeeze of lemon juice and serve.
I like the idea of using everyday ingredients to make special meals. For this recipe I subsituted couscous for phutu pap, simply because maize meal is a staple in SA most people should have it in their pantries.